Glanville Environmental Shortlisted in Water Industry Awards
We’re delighted to announce that alongside South West Water, Public Sewer Services, and Primus Line, Glanville Environmental has been shortlisted as a finalist for Pollution Mitigation Initiative of the Year at the Water Industry Awards with completed rising main scheme Pennance Mill - A successful recipe combining innovative and traditional ingredients.
In March, we submitted two entries for the Water Industry Awards competing against the best of the best in the water industry for recognition of the great work we do.
At the beginning of May we received notification of our shortlisting for the Pennance Mill Rising Main scheme which was a high-profile scheme delivered in 2022 for our key client and supply chain partners involving a complicated overland solution and 640m pipe replacement within a holiday park that was fully booked ahead of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations last year.
Having caused multiple pollution events, and formal warnings from the Environment Agency, immediate action was required to mitigate the issue and provide a solid solution that embodied longevity for this holiday park.
An extremely tight 20-day timescale and logistical obstacles posed a significant challenge for our highly skilled team, however, despite this we successfully delivered an excellent outcome with no major setbacks.
Following discussions with industry partners and suppliers, a hybrid solution achieved an optimum delivery programme and eliminated nearly all of the obstacles initially encountered. Trenchless would account for 70% of the scheme with traditional open cut used for the remaining 30%. And for the first time on a South West Water site, we installed 420m of Primus Liner, ensuring that excavation over the delicate pitch area of the campsite was minimised so close to the arrival of holidaymakers. The hybrid approach to rehabilitation allowed both operations to work concurrently with any required attendance to the trenchless team provided by the pipelaying team.
This scheme demonstrated that permanent solutions can be scoped, designed, and delivered in very short time frames to mitigate pollution hotspots with significant environmental and social impacts.
Considering the pipe characteristics, working pressures, and access point limitations, the Primus liner provided an ideal solution with the installation length capable of avoiding significant obstacles in the first section. By independently reviewing the next set of obstacles, re-routing the remainder of the pipeline eliminated disruption to a second land owner, avoided a watercourse crossing, and permanently removed an air valve asset improving pumping efficiency and reducing the planned maintenance requirements.
We’re excited to have been shortlisted and looking forward to attending the awards on the 29th of June with the hope of becoming a 2023 Water Industry Award Winner.
Congratulations to all involved, becoming a finalist is a brilliant achievement for Glanville Environmental!